'Consumers India' is a non-profit organization set up by former officers of Department of Consumer Affairs, and other senior officers of Govt. of India, with a view to use their knowledge and experience for the benefit of consumers.
The organization was registered on 18.05.2007 under Societies Registration Act, 1860 with the following major aims and objectives:
- To bring persons having expertise and experience in the field of consumer protection together in order to provide them a forum for exchange of ideas, opinions, experiences connected with various aspects of Consumer Welfare to further advance the consumer movement.
- To advise and assist the Government in formulating policies and implementing the Consumer Protection, Right to Information and other related laws.
- To promote and protect consumer interest particularly to concretize the consumer rights and remedies as enshrined in UN guidelines and included in the Consumer Protection Act, 1986 and other consumer related legislations.
- To sponsor and undertake research in field of consumer education, right to information, programs on consumer advocacy and campaigns relating to problems of consumers and to set up study circles and groups in such fields.
- To design, participate in, conduct and sponsor courses on consumer protection and right to information.
- To collaborate and co-operate with national and international bodies connected with consumer welfare, consumer movement and right to information.
The organization is registered under Sections 12A read with section 12AA and 80 G (5) (vi) of Income Tax Act, 1961.
The Department of Consumers Affairs had also permitted it to use the name 'Consumers India' under Names and Emblems Act.
Shri Wajahat Habibullah
Members of Governing Council :-
President: Dr (Ms) Jayashree Gupta
Vice President: Shri Harcharanjit Singh
General Secretary: Dr G S Tiwari
Treasurer: Ms Renuka Mehra
Shri P Venkatesan
Shri Jagat Bhushan, President of SUM (Institutional Member)
Advisory Group -